Ever wonder how the English language came to be? This instructor-led micro-course examines the development of modern day English and its social, political, geographical, cultural, and religious influences. This course also teaches ways to integrate this knowledge when teaching linguistically-diverse students.
Educators Will Be Able To
- Demonstrate an understanding of the influences that have impacted the evolution of English language, spelling, and pronunciation
- Differentiate among the various periods of English including Old English, Middle English, and Modern English
- Determine how the English language can be unifying and divisive from a cultural and societal standpoint
- Explain instructional strategies that incorporate cultural and linguistic sensitivity for students acquiring Modern English.
- Byson, B. (2015). Made in America: An Informal History Of The English Language In The United States. New York, NY: HarperCollins. ISBN-10: 0380713810 2.
- Mugglestone, L. (2008). The Oxford History Of English. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. ISBN-10: 0199544395
- Kwok, J. (2011). Girl in Translation. New York, NY: Riverhead Books. ISBN-10: 1594485151
The Origins of English Micro-course
⏳8 week access