Tue, Nov 05|
Metro RESA Office
STEAM: Implementing STEAM-centric PBL in 6th-7th grades
Curious about STEM + Arts? This interactive learning lab introduces real world applications, principles of problem-based learning, and integration across disciplines, as well as the importance and impact of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) in our daily lives.
Time & Location
Nov 05, 2019, 9:00 AM – Nov 06, 2019, 3:00 PM
Metro RESA Office, 1870 Teasley Dr, Smyrna, GA 30080, USA
About The Event
This PL introduces real world applications, principles of problem-based learning, and integration across disciplines, as well as facilitates discussion that helps teachers and instructional leaders understand the fundamentals and instructional strategies required for STEAM-centric learning. The instructors will engage participants in grades 6-7 Earth and Life Science problem-based model lessons that integrate the GSE science and math disciplinary core ideas with technology, the arts, and science, math & engineering practices. Participants will analyze and reflect on the model lessons, and then use their reflections to develop their own STEAM-centric 3-D lessons.
Educators will be able to:
- Engage in, analyze, and reflect upon grades 6-7 problem-based lessons that integrate STEAM
- Develop an operational definition of STEAM and PBL and identify representative tasks
- Identify connections among the science and math practices in the Georgia Standards of Excellence, as well as practices within the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) standards
- Locate resources to support planning and implementation of STEAM-centric PBL
- Plan a standards-based, STEAM PBL lesson
- Implement, record, and reflect upon a STEAM PBL lesson (micro-credential requirement)